Sunday 30th of October was the date of our third Sydney walk. A record 198 people registered either online or on the day and almost $17,000 was raised for the Garvan Institute for Pancreatic Cancer research.
People came from all walks of life and all locations. Their reasons for supporting the event were varied - many came in memory of a loved one who were taken by this disease, others came to support friends or simply because they wanted to take action to help get this underdog of a cancer out of the too hard basket. Whatever the reasons, all at Avner's Foundation are grateful for their support and for embracing the colour purple, the international colour of Pancreatic Cancer, so strongly.
Director of Avner's Foundation and close personal friend of Avner's, Grant O'Brien emceed the event, Warwick White, MD of Coca-Cola Amatil (Foundation Sponsor) spoke of his personal connection to Pancreatic Cancer, Andrew Biankin, Professor and Head of Pancreatic Cancer Research, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, spoke about the need to increase awareness and Caroline Kelly thanked all who enabled the Foundation to reach the position it had.
Member for Pittwater, Rob Stokes, launched the walk, handed out prizes and was even spotted helping to clean up and dismantle tables and marquees at the end.
Costs for the day were kept to an absolute minimum thanks to the generosity of the following:
- Mr Beak's - donation of sausages and use of Mr Beak's BBQ ute
- Coca-Cola Amatil - for the donation of refreshments and prizes
- Woolworths - donation of prizes and ongoing passionate support of our Foundation
- SPC Ardmona - donation of packaged fruit and helping out on the day
- Kraft - donation of the chocolates and prizes
- Pittwater Council - donation of the marquee
- North Palm Beach Surf Life Saving Club - donation of first aid services
- Volunteer Photographer - Michael Mannington
Our walks just like any charity events are only possible with a team of volunteers:
- Event organisers - Amanda Cech, Jude Hawkes and Alex Nicholson, Mr Beak's team of Tom, Giselle and Josh. Unfortunately David Beak was unable to attend due to the grounding of flights
- MC - Grant O'Brien
- Director of Events - Maysoon El-Ahmad
- Food stall - Jude Hawkes, Sietse Pos, Donna Patchett and Lisa Manzo
- Refreshment and chocolate stall - Amanda Cech, Scott Mitchell, Tim Warwick and Phillip Morgan
- Registration - Garvan team of Amber Johns, David Chang, Amanda Mawson, Mona Saade, Mary-Anne Brancato, Carol O'Carroll
- Marshalls - Alex Nicholson, Catherine Nicholson, Jacqui Jang, Rick Lovett, Jacinta Lovett, Cherry Huang, Jannah Meredith (Dame), Sharon Rech (Edna), Lisa Kelly, Samantha O'Brien, Mary Washington, Montana and Gena
Prizes were awarded to:
- Dame Edna duo - Jannah and Sharon for the most creatively dressed in purple. They have won this prize every year and begin planning more than a year out!
- Ella and Lydia - most creatively dressed in purple (children), also winners in this category every year. Who would have thought a wetsuit would be of such use in a walk!
- Highest individual fundraiser - Kate Pippia ($4,130). Prizes were also given to Felicity Herron and Adrian Pippia for their individual fundraising efforts
- Highest team fundraiser - Asha and Thomas Long
Thanks to all who made the journey to Palm Beach to Put their foot down for Pancreatic Cancer.