The Adelaide Walk is always special. . On 5th November our sixth annual Adelaide “Put Your Foot Down” Walk was held under clear sunny skies as our walkers made their way along Henley Beach. It is such a fitting end to our National Walk calendar to end in November, the internationally recognised Pancreatic Cancer Awareness month.
The Grange Jetty reserve was awash with some very imaginative purple outfits and some very creatively dressed dogs who were there to put their “paws down” to help raise awareness as well.
An exciting addition rolled onto the scene this year, an Avner Foundation branded purple Race Car. The Porsche is one of two racing cars that will be Racing for Survival courtesy of our new corporate supporter, the Vectra Corporation. The second car is a very serious V8 Supercar that will be Racing for a Cure on the National Circuit through 2018. We can’t wait to see this racing car in action. It will be very fast in line with our motivation to quickly improve survival rates for Pancreatic Cancer.
Managing Director of the Vectra Corporation, Mike Ryan spoke of his involvement with the Foundation and shared with us his harrowing story of loss through the disease. Mike had sadly lost his mother, wife and best friend from the disease. We warmly welcome Mike and the Vectra team to the Adelaide Walk to stand along us in the future.
Thank you to all the amazing fundraisers and everyone who got involved this year. Between you and our sponsors you raised $25,422! What a huge result!
We couldn’t run our walks in each state without the help of our incredible volunteers who ensure that all facets of the walk are organised. A special thank you to Scott and Alison our Adelaide walk organisers who do such an incredible job and their amazing team who keep coming back year after year to help; Judy, Kate, Sean, Liam, Sandy, Gavin, Amie, Nicki and Vicki.
Lastly a huge shout out to our wonderful sponsors who keep giving year after year. Their dedication enables the maximum amount of dollars to be raised from our walks around the country;
- Beak & Sons for supplying their gourmet traditional beef sausages at all our walks
- Woolworths for their incredible support of all our walks especially the amazing Adelaide team who supply and mann the very busy BBQ for us
- Coca-Cola Amatil for supplying their Deep Spring flavoured mineral water and the Avner still water and organise delivery wherever we ask without hesitation
- Red Jelly who supply all the artwork for our posters
- Wellcom who not only print up all our requirements but send out the finished products for us
- Muk Haircare Global for their donation of prizes for our highest fundraisers and team fundraisers and our creatively dressed child and adult
Behind the scenes there is an army of dedicated and generous people who give selflessly year after year to our National Walks program and we would like to take this opportunity to say “thank you” for making 2017 a memorable year for the Avner Pancreatic Cancer Foundation.