Over 70 people turned out on Sunday 14th October to support the second annual ‘Put Your Foot Down’ walk on the beautiful shores of Wentworth beach. The sometimes-fickle Tasmanian weather turned on a beautiful day and all of nature seemed to come out in support with many purple flowers and plants in bloom.
More than $2,600 was raised for Pancreatic Cancer research from registrations, donations and from the food, drinks and merchandise sold. Wellcom’s fantastic support means that not only do they do all our printing free of charge, they will also match the profits raised from all our walks!
Tasmanian cricket stars, Alex Doolan and Adam Maher were our special guests fresh from their success at the Sheffield Shield clash in Adelaide. The crowds were kept entertained with their wit and warmth in the warm up exercises and we were all delighted to see Alex and Adam do the walk along with Alex’s dog Max.
The profits from the event were maximized due to all the donations and loans from our sponsors. These include:
- Woolworths – Food, prizes, marquee, BBQ, PA system
- Wellcom – all the printing of the posters and flyers (for all the walks) and doubling of the profits!
- Coca-Cola Amatil – drinks and volunteers
- Mr Beak’s – the ever popular “Mr Beak’s” sausages
- Tasmanian Bakeries – cookies Cripps Nubake - bread
- SPC Ardmona – Tubs of fruit
- Red Jelly – design of our beautiful posters and flyers, articles in the Mercury and on radio, letterbox drop etc.
Thanks also to the volunteers who helped out on the day and in the lead up to the walk. The walks wouldn’t be possible without your support! I would like to especially thank key volunteers Alex, Justine and Anthea - their organisational skills, support and commitment are second to none and it is always a fun time working with them.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of the walk! Next year it will be bigger and better.
Check out the photo gallery from the day - click here