Our first Queensland walk was held at the City Botanic Gardens in Brisbane on Sunday 28th October. Queenslanders opened their hearts and came out in force to support the walk. There were 140 registered for the event and more than $13,000 raised! For a first walk, and considering the promotion for it was much more limited than we would have liked, it is an incredible result.
Professor Sean Grimmond who is the co-lead of the Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genomic Inititiative and based at the University of Queensland, was the special guest and he spoke about the big, new advance the APGI made in their understanding of Pancreatic Cancer, which made both national and international news on the week of the walk. It was inspiring to listen to him speak about the progress made and the hope this offers for the future.
We thank our corporate sponsors who donated products and services, and the volunteers who enabled the event to run smoothly and all the people who participated and donated to the funds raised.
- Woolworths – food, prizes, loan of equipment, storage, and delivery to botanic gardens. Special thanks to Brett Fisher who hired a Ute, drove down from Noosa, delivered the goods and equipment and then donned an apron and helped out on the BBQ stall!
- Wellcom – matching all the profits made from all our walks!!! Also printed and delivered all our posters for all the walks.
- Coca-Cola Amatil – refreshments, prizes, loan of equipment and volunteers. It was great to have your support!
- Mr Beaks – donation of the ever-popular Mr Beak’s sausages, not just for the Brisbane walk, but all the walks, every year.
- George Weston – donated bread for all our Spring 2012 walks.
- Jan and Chris Nielson and family/friends
- The team from Coca-Cola Amatil
- Brett Fisher (Woolworths)
- Mel and Chase Archer
- Greg Dhnaram
- IMB at UQ Team
- Marea Ford and Les Field
Check out our photo gallery from the day - click here.