What is Remember September?
Remember September is about making a much-needed difference to this world, one step at a time. It’s about encouraging positive lifestyle changes, keeping healthy, and raising much-needed awareness and funds for Pancreatic Cancer research.
The facts: In Australia, 3,271 new cases of Pancreatic Cancer will be diagnosed this year (2017) and 2,915 Australian lives be lost… Only 7% of those diagnosed will survive 5 years from their diagnosis. Many other cancers have seen improvements in survival rates, such as breast cancer’s 90% 5-year survival rate. Compare that 90% to pancreatic cancer’s 7%....
Maybe … just maybe … one day, no one will need to suffer at the hands of this horrific disease like our family did – our father Danny (63yo) fought a 9 month battle in 2014 and our cousin Danielle (33yo) had less than 6 weeks from her diagnosis in 2012.
What is the month-long challenge?
Participants who sign-up to the Remember September challenge:
- Give up ALL liquids except for pure water for the entire month of September. That means foregoing their favourite drinks such as coffee, tea, beer, wine, juices… everything!
- In doing so, they raise much-needed awareness for Pancreatic Cancer; and seek support through fundraising from their community to raise much-needed funds for Pancreatic Cancer research.
- Get a free Remember September bottle! Brand new this year, challengers will receive a special Remember September water bottle. Challengers are encouraged to use the bottle to drink their H20 and post their photos on social media using the hashtag #SeptemberIsToRemember - An enormous thank you to Cavendish for sponsoring our amazing purple bottles!
- Need a night off the challenge during the month? The Purple Pass will help! A Purple Pass will give a Remember September challenger a free pass from the challenge for that special occasion. Maybe you’re attending a wedding or maybe you’re doing a marathon. A challenger can purchase themselves a Purple Pass by simply donating (any chosen amount) to their own profile.
The challenge is difficult yet extremely rewarding. A month of only water cleanses your body, making you feel lighter and healthier, while helping bringing a cure a step closer to reality.
Want to get involved?
Visit our Remember September 2017 fundraising page to get involved in any of the following ways:
- Want to take on the challenge? Sign up for the month-long challenge today and we promise it will be the most rewarding 30 days of your year!Accept the Challenge Now! >>
- Want to sponsor a challenger or the team? You will have the option to either sponsor a specific challenger or sponsor the team/Remember September cause as a whole.Sponsor a Challenger Now! >>
- Please spread the word! Like and Share Remember September on Facebook and Follow us on Instagram!
Where does the money go?
All funds raised by Remember September directly support the Avner Pancreatic Cancer Foundation’s Research Program.
The story behind Remember September
Remember September is currently run by Ben Wilheim (Founder) and David Wilheim. In December 2013, our father, Danny Wilheim, was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. This was just one year after our first cousin, Danielle Sirmai (aged 33), lost her own fight to Pancreatic Cancer (9 December 2012), surviving just 6 weeks from her diagnosis.
In July 2014, when our Dad was still with us, I (Ben) undertook a special tailored version of Dry July. For 40 days I gave up all liquids except water. With an opening goal of $3,000 (reached within 2 hours of launching the initiative) I raised $15,600 in those 40 days and organised for these funds to be invested directly into Cancer Council’s Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund. Donations came from almost 200 donors, including individuals, families and a number of organisations. My family and I were so happy with that result!
Our parents and the rest of the family always tried to make the most of the time we had left to share with Dad, going away on a number of family holidays, and using special occasions (such as birthdays, our parent’s 20th wedding anniversary, my brother’s (David) wedding, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day etc) as goals for him to be around for. Dad was given less than 24 hours left a number of times yet he continued to push on week after week, month after month… Our Dad sadly lost his battle on 15 September 2014, surviving only 9 months from his diagnosis.
The combination of all of this inspired me to begin what is now called Remember September – a dedication to our father, our cousin and all those that have suffered from this horrible life-ending and life-changing cancer.
Remember September will continue to grow and grow! I will make sure of it! The more it grows (and the more challengers we have participating each year), the more awareness we spread throughout the world and the more we paint the word purple! There just isn't enough going on for Pancreatic Cancer so I encourage you to please get involved and help us paint the world purple for the cause!
In Remember September’s inaugural year in 2015, 20 brave challengers raised another $16,800 from over 190 amazing donors. In 2016, 37 challengers raised $27,800 from over 360 donors.
To date, we have raised over $60,000 to help beat this disease! What can we achieve in 2017?
"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."
- Ben Wilheim
Remember September Founder